Fiction Adaptation: Tutorial with Mike Rymer

Tutorials with Michael Rymer 

Having an industry professional teach us about camera work, shots and settings really opened my eyes for our new project. Having this time I was able to make decisions about what I wanted and didn't want for my project. 

What did we do?

  • The first important thing that we went through was the variety of shots that are used purposely for films. A lot of shots such as the contra zoom was an eye opener for me because it's only now that I am able to recognise it when you look closely. It just goes to show how many of these shots can flow so effortlessly that you don't even notice it. 
  • We also had a look at settings within the SLR's. We looked at exposure settings including ISO,Aperture and shutter speed. We looked at how they intertwined to create the perfect looking exposure and all the things we need to avoid in order to have clear, well lit shot. This is something that I have always struggled with and I am extremely happy in the way Mike broke it down for the class. It was comprehensive and now I feel much more confident when operating the SLR's and knowing which settings to choose. 
  • After watching the different shot types and looking at how they are done, we then had to have a go at trying some of the shots out ourselves. This was extremely challenging at times and its only then when I realised how difficult it is to create the shots we had seen. It looked relatively easy when we looked at online tutorials but when I tried to recreate the shots I found it difficult.

  • Here is an example of one of the important things we learnt on this day. The exposure triangle, This lets us know what aspects we should be focusing on in order to get the desired shots.


What did I enjoy?

  • I really enjoyed how the technicalities of shots were simplified and made digestible for the class.
  • The fact that we got to apply what we learnt and practice it
  • Being able to develop new skills with the cameras


What will I be taking on board?

  • For the most part, this session really helped me confirm what style I wanted for my fiction adaptation piece. I had already wanted to use the track for it and so after this session I knew that using the track would be perfect for the style I want. I learnt how smooth you could get your shots and how dynamic you could have it if you had objects around it as well. It was this session that made me confirm my idea of using dancers and creating enhanced,dynamic movement. So this lesson was really important for me. 


Next steps?


  • Somehow get practice on the jib as I was unable to have a go on it during that lesson
  • I think it will be a good idea to book out the equipment that I want to use, set up a mock shoot and test my ideas to see how feasible it actually is. It will be good to do this soon so if there is anything that I need to change, I can do so with ease and it should not jeopardise my real production time. 
  • Further plan out my shoot, source dancers and get the ball rolling for my adaptation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors