Fiction adaptation: Casting / Sourcing dancers



CASTING 


For the process of acquiring dancers for my production I decided to use Dancer Call Pro which is a partnership service from Casting Call pro which mainly aims for actors. I thought this would be the best place to find dancers because it is specified toward them and also would provide a broader directory instead of me to just go into one dance school. 

This is a screen shot of the job application that I posted on Dancers Pro; 


I made sure to state all relevant information such as; 
  • Possible Dates for the shoot
  • The fact that it is a student production so applicants can know what kind of budget to expect
  • Shot ideas. I want the applicants to know exactly what type of shots I have in mind so they know if they would be comfortable with it. 
  • What equipment I will be using
With my past experience of posting job applications, I believe it is essential to be as transparent as possible about what you're asking for to avoid any disappointment or misunderstanding. I believe it also builds trust between the applicants so it is important to give all necessary details in a concise and professional manner.



Applications;





As you can see, I have received 5 applications. Although this is good, the issue is I needed a black woman and a white man. However, I have received the opposite of this and have gotten 4 white women and 1 black male. I am very grateful for the applications but unless I get dancers to fit the description   I will need to change the narrative of my adaptation and I believe that may not work as well. In the mean time I will message all applicants and tell them thank you for applying and I will get back to them shortly.

Next Steps;
  • As time is of the essence, I must go ahead and continue to search for dancers who fit the profile. I will browse the website for dancers and send individual messages to dancers who may have not seen my listing. 
  • Continue to create the script and start making a shot list to finalise what shots I want to have for the adaptation. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors