Fiction Adaptation: Research into Anthony Anoxagorou


Anthony Anaxagorou 



  • British born Poet and Writer
  • First young poet to win the London Young Mayor's Poetry Slam with his poem "Anthropos"
  • Made a number of radio and television appearances including a live recital on BBC London Radio


Looking at Anaxagorou work

I decided it would be a good idea to browse Anthony's work to get a greater feel on what style of work he usually creates and I came across a few interesting pieces; 

If I Told You


The Master's Revenge


For the girl who asked what I was thinking 


Imagery
The first thing I noticed about Anthon's work is the use of powerful yet subliminal imagery that he pairs up with his words. The pictures illustrate what he is talking about but it is not so literal so for that moment you are left to make the link or interpret it into your own way. When looking at "For the girl who asked what I was thinking" I noticed that this imagery differed from the other slideshow style poems and featured 2 characters (one of which was himself) It featured a variety of shots including close ups of different body parts such as the eyes, hands, mouths and various facial expressions to further express the poems. The idea of the characters surrounded in water gave the video a much more subliminal feel and you are left to interpret what the water means in your own way. Very beautiful imagery was created for this piece and it is definitely something that I will take on board as it is interesting to see how different shots of the body can create different meanings. This is something that I would like to experiment with for my project. 

Poetic Style
What I noticed about Anthony's poetic style is he puts the listener in the poem by referring to them as "You". In my opinion this is powerful as it bridges a gap between the listener and the message the poet is trying to get across. This is very efficient as the topics he talks about within his poems are usually about things that people may not know. Especially in "If I told you" he discusses true facts that some/most people where unaware of but it is portrayed in an effective way because the listener is dressed, therefore it could make them think about it more. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors