Fiction Adaptation: Locations


LOCATIONS

After finalising my idea and sticking to having dancers for my adaptation, I needed to know how plausible it would be. first I need to see if I have a good location, otherwise I would have nowhere to put my dancers so location was a main priority for me. So, I decided to make it easier for myself and looked at the locations that was nearest to me in order to find the perfect place for my shoot. I knew that I wanted to have an eerie, dark tone to it and I immediately knew that our house would've been perfect for it because it has really bad lighting throughout. So, I walked around the house and browsed through all the possible rooms that could work. 


Below is the living room which was the biggest room in the house and I automatically knew that this would be the right place to film both dancers if I took the furniture out.   



 

Pros: 
  • The living room isn't well lit and because it is in the basement, even in the daytime the natural light struggles to get through the heavy curtains. This is something that I can experiment with for my piece.


Cons:
  • I have very big ideas of draping fabric around the room or a specific place, I must find a way of creating this effect without damaging the walls as our deposits for the house may be hindered if that is the case. 
  • Will the space be big enough for two moving dancers? although the space can comfortably hold more than two people, it may be a challenge since my piece requires two contemporary dancers and the movement that I had in mind would be quite big. 



The Stairs

Whilst looking for other locations around the house I came across the stair case and immediately saw the possibilities for imagery due to the symmetry that is created. Not only that, I loved the effect of the one sided lighting, almost giving it the contrast between light and dark. I knew that this is something that I could play around with and see what it would look like when people interact with it.

Below are some test shots that I did where I experimented with different angles on the stairs to get a better feel of he possible imagery I could create. My personal favourite is the first one as the contrast is more apparent. 

(no flash)


(with Flash)


Pros;
  • The symmetry that naturally occurs with the stairs is something I was immediately drawn to. 
  • The imbalance of lighting is also something that I can play with as it can further illustrate the contrast between light and dark / happiness and sadness
cons;
  • The space between where i stood to take the picture and the steps was very short so there is no room for me to move back and get a wider shot. the shots shown are as wide as i'll be able to get them unless I use a wide angle lens but theres only so much that can actually do. 
  • even though the symmetry is great, the plausibility of the shot is still unknown because there are a variety of factors that determine if it can work such as the height of the dancers. Due to the short space I have, there is a limited amount of room for shot range so the dancers would have to stay where they are. I am sure it can work but I am still unsure.
Next Steps


  • I need to continue to plan my shots so I am better prepared for my shoot
  • Start sourcing dancers and find out when their availability would be. 
  • Create a script along with other pre production tools to push this production into action 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors