Fiction Adaptation: From rough cut to fine cut

From Rough Cut to Fine Cut

Below is my rough cut and the feedback I received from Helen


Since I had only filmed this the day before the rough cut deadline I felt as though I could've put together a better rough cut but due to time this is all I could do. I was really happy with the way it turned out, it was nice seeing all the shots flow together.


Helen's rough cut feedback 

  • When the camera is moving with them it looks great
  • Use more shots when they are in motion
  • Continue to play with layering 
  • Shoot more fabric as cutaways
  • Try to start simple and build on the story, don't shot all the best shots first
  • Must not show a decline in quality, it must either build or stay consistent
  • Shots that show the reality of the settings bring it down as we are taken away from the world it is set in
  • Play around with lights
  • Capitalise on the claustrophobia part and build on that
  • Try to find a way of introducing the male character first without just showing him
  • Overlay the fabric
  • Play around with fabric in general
  • Push colour in Premiere


Upon receiving the feedback from both Helen and Sam, I was scared that they did not understand the direction I was going as I wanted them to notice that the dance moves were specifically shot for the narrative of the poem. I took on board what they said and decided to book out equipment to shoot more fabric. After getting the shots I wanted I begun to play around with the layering. 


My biggest challenge was using the layering in an effective way and not letting it become overkill. I wanted to keep the rawness of the skin and the dancing but also enhance it with the post production and sound design. I did not want my dancers to get lost within the music and I also did not want the poem to be lost within the dancers so I had to find ways of breaking this up with the use of interesting sound design. Another challenge of mine was sifting through the shots and making sure I showed the most effective ones. I found that there were a lot of hidden shots that I forgot about. I now know that upon importing, I need to go through and group my shots together in separate folders as this would've saved me so much time when creating videos.


Fine Cut Feedback
I really struggled to create the piece after shooting the extra footage because I was trying to make something that Helen would like without losing my original idea. So I was only able to show 30 seconds of the fine cut to Helen and Sam as I felt as though I was stuck and didn't know which direction to take the rest of the video.

  • Great layering
  • Great sound design
  • continue to do that throughout, on the right track

After showing them and seeing that they liked it, I finally felt confident to continue with what I was doing and was able to elaborate on all the feedback they gave me. In the end I was happy with the way the shots were aligned so I moved onto colour correction
 
Fine Cut to Final & Colour correction

After finalising my layout, Below is an example of my first steps in colour correction. I wanted to enhance the tones and give it a colder, darker feel without losing too much shadows and detail.Since most of my shots are quite dark I had to be careful with the contrast because some of it was getting lost in the darkness. below is one of my favourite shots and I wanted to make sure this one was right first as I needed this to be as clear as possible. I just added an adjustment layer and played around.
 

At first I was happy with this but I still felt as though something was missing and I didn't like how it felt as if I was losing a bit of detail so I continued to play around as I wanted a more stylised look. Below is an example of the original against my finalised colour correction. I am really pleased with the result.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors