Fiction Adaptation: Shot inspiration


Looking at Shot types and the effects of equipment 

After gaining insight and inspiration from Mike Rymer's first shot type worksop I knew I wanted to use the track and dolly as well as a stabiliser for my adaptation. I went ahead to gain greater knowledge of this as I wanted to learn about the best ways to maximise the use of the track and dolly as well as the stabiliser. 


One video that helped me gain a greater understanding about how important it is to thtink about what a difference shot types make is this one; 

This video was really helpful to me as it showed me how much depth you could create if you have different equipment. My personal favourites were the slow dolly in and out as well as the glidecam shots. Not only would they suit my ideas but we also have that equipment so I know it is doable.


Since we have 1 steadicam stabiliser in the equipment store, I wanted to get my hands on it for my production but I wanted to learn more about balancing it first as I struggled with it previously. Below is a video that I found on youtube; 




This video helped me understand what I would need to do when balancing a stabiliser. It was essential that I understood this in order to maximise the effects of the steadicam. However, watching a video is one thing, putting it into practice is another so I will need to practice this with the actual steadicam


I went ahead and looked at example shots when using the camera track and dolly. I wanted a bit more inspiration and ideas of how it would look on the 7D so I managed to find a video on youtube that did just that. Below is a video that shows example shots of a camera track and dolly in use with a Canon 7 D. This is perfect for me as this is the exact camera that I will be using so it is good to get that extra bit of idea.


What I learnt from this video is that the shots look better when they are moving through something as opposed to moving from left to right and nothing is going on in the shot. I think it would be a good idea if I create the fabric installation in a manner where more depth is created as he camera moves through it instead of beside it almost. 


Next Steps; 

  • Create a risk assessment in order to book the equipment out 
  • Continue to plan and create my production shot list
  • Continue to source dancers for the project

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors