Directions: New selected scene/ new plans



Here is a link to the full episode including the new scene I have selected to direct. 


My chosen scene starts from 22:43 to 27:00

I decided to chose this scene over my previous scene because;

  • There are less actors to source. My first scene consisted of 7-8 major, distinctive characters. More characters means more travel expenses to pay and that is something that I cannot afford at the moment. This new scene has 5 characters in total, but I only need to source 2 from casting websites as I have other volunteers for some of the roles. That cuts my expenses down to more than half which leaves me more money to spend on special effects and props if need be.

  • I prefer the fact that the scene is set on a road and in a house instead of outdoors in a forest. Although we could've changed the location if it suit, I couldn't really think of an alternative that would still allow me to have a dramatic effect as it did in the original scene. A road and a house is much easier to source in my opinion. And although its not always about what is easiest, I do believe a house is more accessible than in the middle of a forrest at night with 7-8 people (not including crew members)

  • There are a lot of weapons used and an extreme blood gushing scene, all of these things are not impossible to do but getting so many replica guns and taking as many of those out in public would cause a greater issue. I did research the rules and I would've been able to do it but I slowly lost interest in the idea because replica guns can cost a lot of money. The amount of gun shots would've taken to long to do in after effects as well whereas in my new scene there is only one gun and one gun shot which is more attainable within the time that we have to produce it. There were too many things needing to orchestrate and it didn't seem plausible in the end.

  • This scene is one of the most vital scenes in terms of story development as this is the moment rick realises the world is not how he remembered it. He is faced with new challenges as he runs into people along the way. I thought this scene better represented the show as a whole instead of the neck biting scene. although the neck biting scene may have been more dramatic in terms of action, It doesn't really set the tone for the entire show as you wouldn't have guessed the show had anything to do with zombies if you saw that scene alone. 

In the end it all comes down to cost for me, I want my production to be as good as it can be but I must also be mindful of a budget as I am a student without a part time job and only living on student loan. 



What I need for the new scene
With a new scene, it still poses new requirements and challenges.
  • A bicycle for one of the scenes. I am currently unsure of anyone who is willing to let me use their bike, especially as it gets thrown onto the ground. I know that there is a bike shop near and maybe I could liaise with them and see what I can do.This is not an element that I can cut because it is a vital part of the scene. 

  • A functioning gun. Morgan takes the gun off safety so the gun must be able to do something like that to make it more believable. If I am unable to get a gun like this I will have to settle for a plastic model one and just have him point it at rick only. I am not too worried about this one

  • Hospital overalls for Rick as he is coming out of a hospital, I have already sourced this and found cheap versions on eBay.

  • Bandages for Ricks injury, Already sourced on eBay for a cheap price. 

  • Special effects make up for the zombies - (I have made a separate post for this)

  • A shovel or baseball bat. I already know someone who owns a baseball bat and would be able to let me use it for the shoot

  • A house - my friend has already given me permission to use hers for the shoot

  • 2 actors (Morgan and Rick)- Will need to source from casting websites

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors