Pre Production: Remembering Script Writing


Writing and Formatting a Script

Since it has been a while since I've written a script, I thought it would be a good idea to go through previous notes and refresh my memory on how to properly format it and also remind myself how to write a good quality script. 



I went back to my blog post from first year's script workshops with Steve Coombes;


The main point about showing and not telling is something that I need to remember when trying to order my story. Theres so many things that I can make the character say to tell the audience how he feels but since my story is about internalising and not being vocal with your emotions, I have to really tap into the mind of the character and think about what someone who is showing signs of depression would do. This means greater research is needed to ensure I get it right. 




I went online to browse different sources in order to remind myself how to properly format it. Since I will be working on Final Draft, I was confident that the lay out would be industry standard however I have forgotten how to properly navigate. 

I came across a helpful site; 

This is where I found a useful post where they have outlined a standard script and what it should look like/ include. 




After reading this, I have noticed some errors that I have already made since I have already started my script. For example, the use of a subheading when a new scene heading isn't necessary. I thought that this wasn't a thing or that it wasn't allowed and you would have to always start a new scene with "INT./ EXT" So I will continue to think about how I structure my story as I want it to slow properly to the reader.

With the use of a Book that was provided by the Uni; 




This book put forward some very helpful tips when thinking about putting a story together and ordering your thoughts for a script. 

One helpful aspect was; 

"The key to the success of any film is finding the big question to which we are made to want to know the answer and clearly understanding the quest before embarking on any shooting."

In relation to my story, When thinking about my "big question", I suppose I would be asking "How could this unfortunate event be avoided?" Since it is following the mental health and deterioration of a young boy, "what signs where there that could've been touched upon to avoid this outcome?" That would be my starting point. 

The next helpful section in this book was, "Creating Sequences"

In short, this passage spoke about the importance of creating sequences that contribute to the answer. It seems like a straight forward concept but it is important to remember because I find that when trying to write my script, I often think of cool ideas but they stray from the big question. It is something that I am currently struggling with. The passage claims that "The test for every scene is whether its own smaller questions and answers contribute to the big question of the film. Only if they do should they be there." Again, heightening the importance of showing what is necessary. This is something that I need to remember when creating my script as I already have too much going on at times. I want the audience to be able to pay attention to the big picture and the underlying message throughout which is understanding how easy it is to miss the signs that something may not be right but also how easy it is to hide the fact you are not okay. I also want to spark discussion on what we can all do to get educated and further understand mental health. Theres also the element of art and why it isn't seen as a worthy occupation. These are all serious objectives and at times I fear that it is too much to do at once. But would the story be good if I only focused on one aspect? I think that has been done before so I want to challenge myself as a writer and director because I think its good to sometimes step outside of the box and do things a little differently. But I must keep these tips in mind because when you have all these topics, it is easy to lose track. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors