Moments: Steve Coombes

What I learnt


After the first session with Steve Coombes, we discussed the importance of 'moments'. Moments can be  various  points within film, usually it's things that cant be said which must be shown. So when illustrating real conflict within a character, whatever the character finds difficult to talk about, you must show it instead of having them say it. If it is so easy for them to say then it is not a real conflict. You must show how a character is feeling instead of just saying it, therefore heightening the quality of the character representation.  As Steve spoke about this, it really opened my eyes on how I could really improve my writing, character profiling and scene structures. Especially since its important for me to show my character's emotions within my short story as its heavily dependent on how they feel and develop after being with each other. 


We were given the task of finding a moment from a film and noting it down. I have chosen to use 'Inception' as an example.


At the ending of inception, there is a moment where Dom Cobb (leonardo Di Caprio) spins the top but this is then cut so we do not see whether it continued to spin or not. we learnt that there was a way of testing out which world you were in so you'd never get lost. If the top continues to spin then he is in a dream, but if the top stops spinning then it is real life. The readers are then left guessing whether or not all of the events that occurred where real. To me this is such an eye opening moment.





I learnt a lot from Steve and there were so many helpful tips that I will be taking on board for my screenplay and video. I have learnt that you need to "show it and not just say it". This is why I think inception is a good example because they don't verbally tell you, they show you what is happening and you have to make the link for yourself. Similarly to my work, I would like to show contrast between the characters without having to say it. Steve has taught me the importance of it.

Comments

  1. good to hear... what is it that you will take into your work??
    Love Inception!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors