Major project : From Fine to finer cut




When looking at my progress from Fine Cut to a "finer" cut I made sure to take on board the feedback from both Andrea and Simon. The main feedback I received was;


  • Tighten the shots and keep the pace consistent because at the moment it was dipping in and out from the highs and lows of the film, and some parts felt a little bit dreary. 
  • I could cut out the look Isaiah gives lily when they're in the art room
  • Cut down the death scene
  • level the audio
  • The art studio introduction scene isn't necessary 


I was very reluctant to cut down the lead up to his death scene and to cut out the art studio introduction because I felt as though I would be losing context but I was willing to give it a go in the edit.  I was also really reluctant to cut out the look Isaiah gives lily in the art room because I simply loved the look he gave her, I felt like he says a lot with his eyes in that shot.  




But I was advised that it may be better for the audience if we think they don't make eye contact just yet. 


The major changes I made:


  • I cut out the look he gives her
  • I reminded the audio even more
  • I downloaded new sound effects such as stream water running and crickets for the scene where Isaiah received a message from Lily
  • Downloaded some more fire burning sound effects for the bonfire scene
  • I cut down the death scene
Sound editing
One of the main things I did was refining the audio on the art corridor scene. I have created a comparison video to show what it sounded like before any editing and what it sounded like after.


Im still very disappointed in the quality of sound but Im happy that I have taken the time to make it a lot better than it originally was. This would be the third way I have attempted to improve the audio and so far the "convolution reverb" with "vocal enhancer" has been the best. There were no tutorials on youtube either, this was just me spending hours experimenting. Sadly I am unable to organise an ADR session with my actress because she has gone away for months so I am pretty much stuck with this audio issue.

Next step is to show the class and receive the final feedback




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors