Major Project: Familiarising with directing techniques



Directing Tips

I wanted to refresh my memory on directing tips or just any information that will help me during my shoot days. I came across a really helpful video on youtube which had compiled interviews and responses from varies Sundance movie directors. 


Directing Techniques & Tips: Best of Sundance Directors


I picked out the main tips that can really apply to me during shoot week. The first question was:

Whats your process for working with actors?
Drake Doremeus states it is important to spend time with them and get to know them, understand what they like and don't like so you know how to better work together. Focus on one thing at the time, let them bring themselves to the part.

How do you work on a tight deadline?
Gerard McMurray states his tip is to shoot wides and masters when you're up against time. He shot lots of characters in lots of different locations so its important to get what you need and not be too caught up on the intricate shots if you physically don't have the time for it. I think its a good tip for me to remember because I'm sure there will be plenty of times where I am not able to get all the shots I need. Obviously the aim will be to try and avoid this at all costs but it is important to always have a contingency plan.


I think its important to remember that even those who aren't students have to work against a deadline and it doesnt always go perfect for everyone. Having a back up plan is essential and some of these tips throughout the video made me realise that actually, even the professionals can bring it back to basics to combat some issues.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Directions: Drama: SFX make up

Directions: Self Portrait: The Development of the idea and Test Footage

Major Project: Table Read with actors